Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lessons Learned in Professionalism

I'm learning that there is more to Dental school than doing book and lab work. Turns out, at least for me, it is also an opportunity to learn how to be a professional. Unfortunately, I am the student that has caused the most ripples this year in our program. I assure you that I didn't plan for it to be this way. I have learned a lot about myself and the things I need to change in the next 4 years of school to hone my professionalism.

After a recent incident, the Director pulled me into his office for a word (only like the 3rd time this has happened this year :). Our Director is great and a great teacher. He helped me understand the things I did wrong. He didn't tell me or talk at me about what I did wrong. We sat down and had a discussion about the situation and he allowed me the opportunity to figure out on my own what I had done wrong, why it was wrong, and what I should change in the future. He even admitted one of his own mistakes in professionalism he had made as a dental student - something that significantly helped me feel like I wasn't alone in my situation.

All of my problems have arisen during the absolutely most stressful times of dental school. The points where I have felt like I was about to break or I have felt defeated and disgruntled. It was pointed out to me that most of us don't have trouble with professionalism when things are going good, but when we are up against the wall. It is when we are against the wall that our actions matter most and define our professionalism. Once I start working with patients, assistants, and colleagues, the actions taken while in these stressful situations will carry much more potent consequences.

Just add it to the list of things I need to learn before leaving Dental School.

2 comments:

  1. It's the Tucker Attitude: I learned a similar lesson when somebody was rubbing me the wrong way on a conference call and on that same conference call I called him an idiot. As you can imagine, the aftermath wasn't pretty. I'll never do that again. We'll get better. One day we'll look back at our young & foolish selves while shaking our heads with smiles on our faces. let's plan on having that conversation when we're both successful in our respective careers and our kids are building fences on your ranch property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. How did I miss this post? And Heather's awesome comment?

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter