Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Speciliazation Debacle


Most people say that you need to be in the top 10% of your class in order to specialize, especially in the more competitive fields. I don't know if I want to specialize, and how should I? I haven't taken a single course in any of the specialty fields, nor do I have any hands-on experience with any of the specialties. This puts the struggling first year dental student in a tough spot:

Do I do everything possible to get good grades just to keep the door open for specialization, even though I know there is a good chance I won't specialize, and/or the possibility that even after all I can do my grades still won't be enough to put me in the top 10% of my class?


If I were to choose to be a general dentist right now, my life would be 10 times easier. Truly, a 70% in almost all our classes will lead to a passing grade and a DDS diploma in my hand at the end of these 4 years. I could probably pass most of my classes right now with very little studying if I were to set this grade as my standard.



I think about this debacle everyday. If I gave up on specializing I would have time to workout, play with my kids, and take my wife on dates. But as for now, I am still undecided, the door is still open, and I'm still weighing the benefits against the costs. It is a tough spot.

I added a poll on the right - Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter