Wednesday, December 16, 2009

DONE! And anonther Poll.


I took my last final today (physiology), so I am officially done with my first quarter of Dental school. I have to say it feels MUCH better than I thought it would. I convinced most of my fellow RIDE students into each writing some thoughts and feelings about this past quarter. It will be fun to see what everybody writes! I will post them up as I get them, along with each of their pictures.

I have been thinking lately about the quality of an education vs the Ease (i.e. grades) of an education (i know.... big suprise). The RIDE program is harder than the UW Seattle program (my opinion). We are in school longer and we take heavier course loads (fact). We also have very small class sizes (8 or 28) which I think contributes to a better education. Because we have more (and some may say harder) classes, my GPA is not going to be what it would be if I were in Seattle (I'm pretty confident in this). So here is the question:

" Would you rather have a better education and a lower GPA or a still very good education but have a higher GPA?"

This all makes its way back to the specialization debacle (a few posts back).

In dental school a Higher GPA = Higher Class Rank
(The rank doesn't account for differences in course load or course difficulty)

Now, from what I know about specializing, the most competitive specialties (orthodontics, endodontics, and Oral Surgery) pretty much require you to be in the top 10% of your class (at least top 20%). If you have no interest in specializing and set on becoming a general dentist, I think hands down that a better education is always the best route (RIDE program). However, if you have any interest in specializing, this question gets a little more fuzzy. If you are anything like me, then you are probably wondering how it is fair that we are ranked against the Seattle students even though we are taking a harder course load. Well, the system is flawed... I know.

So with all this being said what option would you choose?

The poll is on the Right. And if you would be willing to defend your vote, I would love to hear your reasoning!!!

4 comments:

  1. Vote:
    I voted "always get the best education possible."

    Reasoning: I feel the education trumps the GPA. I think it is more important to be challenged and given the best possible education

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Bryan. A gpa will only get you so far and I think you could justify this in any interview. Now, that assumes that you're able to get an interview for a specialty program with your lower gpa and I'm not sure how that works. Either way, you are getting a much more personal experience over here and I think you'll appreciate that in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And who are the 6 other people who have voted and not spoken their piece in the comments box? MAN UP and leave a comment next time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the opinion that it is always better to get the best education you can, even if it means that the road will be more difficult. It's tough in the moment, but it's worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter