Friday, August 14, 2009

Cool Anatomy Fact


When are organs have been hurt they relay a pain signal to the brain. However, when the brain receives the signal, it can't differentiate if the signal is coming from the organ or the dermatome ( a section of skin that is controlled by a single spinal nerve - see pic). So we end up feeling any damage being done to our internal organs through our skin. For the most part, if you have pain in your stomach, you feel pain in your skin around your stomach.... but there are some weird exceptions. For instance, a pain in the mid back is often common with heart attacks.

Okay skeptics, I know what your thinking.... "When I have a stomach ache, its my STOMACH/GUT that hurts, not my skin". Well sorry to say, it is indeed your skin that is hurting, but your brain is smart enough to help you connect this specific pain with your internal gut, so you know whats going on.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this blog! I'm really interested to read about your experiences as I'm hoping to go to UW Dental sometime in the future. Wishing you the best of luck and looking forward to reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm already a subscriber! Many thanks for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Spread the word. I'm going to try and keep it very current.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter