Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Week

So here is a picture of the "Infamous Denny" - He is one of the guys I study and hang out with. Did his undergrad at Boston College and got a masters in Public Health. I'm going to try and get pictures up of different friends each week. This way you can all know who I'm talking about.
This is a picture of "Living Anatomy". First we dissect the cadavers and learn the internal parts. Then we do living anatomy - This is essentially palpating each other for landmarks (xiphoid process, 4th intercostal space, sternal angle, ect) and drawing on the internal organs. It was a unique experience, and lets just say that I left most of the palpating up to Denny.



First week was rough - I'm striking a lot of it up to the fact that we weren't sure how to study for the upcoming quizes. We had an embryology lecture quiz and an Anatomy pin test (This is where they stick pins in the cadavers and then we have to identify the structure). I'm guessing I was at school about 50 hours this week. The first quizzes went okay. I think I did well on the embryology written and just okay on the pin test. This is a credit/no credit class so we just need to be able to pull a 70% or higher.... Trust me that this is easier said than done. We're not in undergrad anymore Toto!

Other thoughts on the first week in the RIDE program:
  • I like the smaller group. There are only 28 of us and I know everybody by name. Everyone seems to get a long, which is nice.
  • I'm liking Spokane. I have been riding my bike to school. There is not traffic and right now the weather is perfect for it. For of you who know the South Hill, It is a fun 20 min ride to school and a beast of a hill climb on the way home (about 40 mins). But it is a great workout and hopefully a good way to lose a few lbs.
  • Class size - Can't beat it.
  • Facilities - Can't beat it - Our anatomy lab is AWESOME!

I even made some time to do some rock climbing on Saturday morning with Josh Landrus. It was a lot of fun. My goal is to work like a dog during the week and try to take the weekends off.

2 comments:

  1. This blog is pretty awesome! I'm a predental student in the process of applying this cycle and UW is my first choice. It's fun hearing about what dental school will be like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it. I'll try to keep it updated and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter