Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Referred Pain... a follow up.

When I was in 8th grade wrestling (thats right, I used to wrestle) we would run wind sprints after practice. Well I used to get a really bad pain up around the right side of my neck and right shoulder region. I continued to get it off and on throughout high school sports. I always thought it was very peculiar that when I was breathing really hard that my right shoulder area would hurt - that just didn't make any sense.

Have any of you felt this?????

Turns out it goes back to what I stated before about the organs referring pain to the skin. Turns out this is the exact dermatome that related to the diaphragm ( the muscle responsible for making us breath). As you get breathing really hard the lining of the diaphragm starts to be strained and pulled away from the diaphragm wall. This pain is referred to the right side of your neck/shoulder.

C'mon- somebody tell me they have felt this pain and that it seemed very peculiar.


Here is another Living Anatomy picture. Denny again in the background ( and Yes, its that fun ), but this time Brad got to take his shirt off. Brad is in the WAMMI program, played golf at University of Portland in undergrad, and is an all around good guy.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Brad -- as a pre-dent, I'm very much enjoying your blog.

    Quick question: did you and/or your dental student classmates take anatomy as undergrads? If yes, are you finding it directly applicable to your current coursework? If no, do you feel you're "behind" others who did take it?

    I probably won't have a chance to take anatomy/physiology this year, and am wondering if I should be...uh...worried about that.

    Many thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice you may have, and keep up the great blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that why I feel like I have heartburn when I stand for a long time....like at the 8th grade science fair..... or when the muscle in my upper back gets tight? Or is that backwards? Anyway mystery solved for you! Those anatomy drawings are pretty cool. Keep up the blog. We really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex - Hands down, taking anatomy in undergrand is a huge advantage. That being said, there are plenty of kids who didn't take it and are still doing fine. I took Anatomy one year ago. I"m having to re-learn a bunch of stuff (aka-I don't remember everything) but the terms and concepts are familiar. I think the biggest thing about taking anatomy in undergrad is learning HOW to study for anatomy. Its different then most classes in that it is 80% pure memorization. Also, this is a Pass/Fail course at UW so you don't need to get a 95% in the class, a 70% will get you the same credit as someone who got the 95%.

    Bottom line: You will be fine without it but taking it if you have time will be an advantage.

    Embryology would be another good one to take, but I find embryology pretty easy to learn and you have to study it for the DAT anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome -- very helpful feedback. Thanks, Brad. I've noted several schools require Anatomy as a pre-req, but most (like UW) don't. Makes sense that having taken it (and embryology) would be a big plus, whether it's required or not.

    I'll be trying to take it this year if at all possible, but if I can't, it's nice to know I won't be the ONLY one. (And some kind of weight training class is def in order for me, since it appears shirts are taken off... hehe...)

    Thanks again for the scoop.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter